Take a closer look!
Copper Mountain by Amy Herzog
The V-neck cardigan is a classic silhouette, and Copper Mountain's all-over cable stitch pattern elevates the classic to new heights. Worked straight to the armholes with no shaping, Copper Mountain is a great option for men, women, and kids. It looks great in a variety of gauges and textures of yarn. Please be sure to swatch in the shadow cable stitch pattern for accurate gauge.
Copper Mountain will use your average sweater and long sleeve lengths, and features a V neckline that begins 1.5'' (4 cm) below your armhole shaping. Simple 2x2 ribbing trims all edges. Amy is wearing the sample sweater with a women's average fit.
Copper Mountain is a straight design, so your sweater pattern will have no waist shaping. The hem and chest/bust will be equal. You can use any measurement set to create this pattern.
I prefer the look of a slightly-fuzzy, slightly-heathered yarn for this cable pattern, and really appreciate the bit of drape alpaca gives to fabric. So I strongly recommend Berroco Ultra Alpaca, the yarn used in this sample, for your Copper Mountain. I'm wearing the color "Lobster Mix", #6297, but there are lots of great heathered colors in this yarn so be creative!
For stability, I liked the Shadow Cable stitch pattern at a gauge of 24 stitches and 28 rows to 4'' (10 cm) in Ultra Alpaca.
Copper Mountain uses the following design choices:
- Style: cardigan
- Silhouette: Straight silhouette
- Length: Medium-hip length
- Sleeves: Full-length tapered sleeve
- Neck style: Average-width vee neck
- Neck depth: 1½"/4 cm below armhole-shaping start
- Hem edging and height: 2x2 Ribbing, 2"/5 cm
- Sleeve edging and height: 2x2 Ribbing, 3½"/9 cm
- Button band allowance: 2"/5 cm
- Button band edging and height: 2x2 Ribbing, 2"/5 cm