Take a closer look!
Alight by Amy Herzog
Alight is inspired by, and designed for, my best friend Beth. Among the many things I love about her, Beth is one of the strongest women I know. Sure of herself and confident, she meets challenges head-on and with no mincing around. For her birthday, I wanted to design a sweater that properly captured her bold personality and elegant, clean style.
For stability with this worn-open style, I recommend working Alight in pieces from the bottom up and then seaming. Unlike the originally published pattern, the seed stitch front bands are picked up and worked perpendicularly to the fronts. The neckline is then picked up and worked, with decreases forming the mandarin collar shape.
Due to the 17-stitch count of the Candle Flames panel, I recommend working Alight in a yarn between a heavy sport and a light worsted weight, so that the panels will neither interfere with waist shaping nor appear very narrow on the fronts.
Alight is an hourglass design, so your final pattern will have waist and bust shaping. You can only use complete measurement sets to create this pattern.
The Plucky Knitter Plucky Sweater [90% merino; 10% nylon]: 270 yds/247 m per 100 g hank, shown in color Barn Door.
Alight uses the following design choices:
- Style: cardigan
- Silhouette: Hourglass silhouette
- Length: Low-hip length
- Sleeves: Full-length bell sleeve
- Neck style: Narrow-width crew neck
- Neck depth: 3"/7.5 cm below shoulders
- Hem edging and height: Seed Stitch, 2"/5 cm
- Sleeve edging and height: Seed Stitch, 2½"/6.5 cm
- Neck edging and height: Seed Stitch, ¾"/2 cm
- Button band allowance: 1"/2.5 cm
- Button band edging and height: Seed Stitch, ½"/1.5 cm